Thursday, January 14, 2016

2015 Book Review

I read a good number of books in 2015. I hope to read another 24 in 2016. However, I significantly slowed down at the end of the year (which is unusual). I'll give some commentary about each book as best as I can remember.

I also started a book club in my ward this year. It has actually gotten pretty decent response. We've had a few get-togethers and had about 10 people show up. I'd say that's pretty good.

1.       The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)
- this is the first book in the Thursday Next series. It is about a literary detective in London who investigates crimes against works of literature. The bad guy is trying to erase Jane Eyre from public consumption. I like the style of writing, the mystery, and the ability to talk about famous books in this way. I like the series.
2.       Men Explain Things to Me (Rebecca Solnit)
Someone recommended this book to me. It was a quick read. I found it someone disheartening, which I suppose that's what you're supposed to feel. There were a lot of unnerving statistics about violence against women.
3.       The Valley of Amazement (Amy Tan)
I do not recommend this book. I should have read a plot summary before I started reading. But then I was committed, and you have to just power through a multi-hundred page book. 
4.       Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand)
I loved this story! So captivating. I still need to watch the movie. 
5.       Lighten Up (Cheiko Okasaki)
I really liked this book. Cheiko Okasaki was a leader in the women's organization in my church. She definitely had a different life path than many of the other women who are in this type of leadership position. I loved her perspective and inspiration.
6.       A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle)
This is always a great book to reread. Can't go wrong.
7.       Where the Sidewalk Ends (Shel Silverstein)
I was in the mood for some light poetry, so I read through this old favorite. So youthful and fun.
8.       Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
I had never read this book before and I really enjoyed the story. I have heard the sequels weren't so great, so I don't really plan on reading them. However, I highly recommend this one!
9.       Lost in a Good Book (Jasper Fforde)
This is the second book in the Thursday Next Series. Again, I like the main character and the idea of solving mysteries regarding books.
10.   The Humans (Matt Haig)
I listened to this audio book. It was definitely interesting. I could have used less vulgar language though. I think it ends kind of depressingly, too, if I remember correctly.
11.   To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
I had never read this book before. I absolutely loved it! I am still debating if I'm going to read Go Set a Watchman. Mixed feelings.
12.   Veronica Mars: Mr. Kiss and Tell (Rob Thomas)
I love Veronica Mars and the next novel did not disappoint. If you're a fan, you'll enjoy this quick mystery novel as well.
13.   The Girl on the Train (Paula Hawkins)
This was the first book for the book club I started. It got good reviews on good reads. However, it was pretty similar to Gone Girl, which I HATED. There were some redeeming characters in this book, so I would say it is better than Gone Girl. Fast paced that keeps you reading, but not a favorite.
14.   Yes, Please (Amy Poehler)
I did not like this book. I just don't think I like Amy Poehler that much. Sorry.
15.   The Heist (Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg)
I really liked this book. I love mysteries. What can I say.
16.   Modern Romance (Aziz Ansari)
This was okay. I thought it was going to be funnier. It had a lot of statistics that I feel like I already knew. I wanted more humor.
17.   The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (Mark Haddon)
This was the second book for book club and I loved this book. The main character has autism and it was definitely a different perspective. There is a lot of vulgar language.
18.   Bird Box (Josh Malerman)
This was a weird book. There are these monsters that are like Medusa that kill you if you look at them. It was a quick read, but it was weird. Probably wouldn't recommend.
19.   Off the Books: The Underground Economy of the Urban Poor (Sudhir Alladi Venkatesh)
We tried a non-fiction book for book club and this book was a little tough to get through. The content was interesting, but the presentation was like sledging through the muck. Do not recommend. 
20.   East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
I did not like this story. I don't know why it is a classic. Yikes.
21.   The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Robert Louis Stevenson)
I had never read this book before and I absolutely loved it. It was like 90 pages or something, so a quick read. We discussed it at our October book club meeting. Highest participation - maybe because it was so short?
22.   Why Not Me? (Mindy Kaling)
This was okay. I enjoyed it, but nothing memorable. 
23.   Everything I Never Told You (Celeste Ng)
This book was kinda sad. But I enjoyed it.
24.   All the Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr)
This was a good story. Very interesting. Quick to get through.
25.   The Shadow of the Wind  (Carlos Ruiz Zafón)
Another book club book. Set in Barcelona, so of course, I loved that. The writing was great. I think there were times where I was confused by the story though. I would recommend this one.

No comments: