Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Home Teacher

Part of LDS life is having people visit or check up on you on a monthly basis. They are called home teachers or visiting teachers. I'm going to focus on home teaching. In YSA congregations, home teaching is kind of strange because the purpose is to check up on families, but since everyone is single, it can be a little weird sometimes. I've had great home teachers who are still my friends to this day. And I've requested that other home teachers be changed because I just felt plain uncomfortable.

A few years ago I was assigned a home teacher whom I already didn't care for very much. I've found this individual just a little bit out of touch with social norms and reality in general. This guy is very kind and means well, but is just not someone I really ever want to talk with.

Once this individual was assigned to be my home teacher, I was not really prepared for the quirkiness in store. He sent me an inspirational quote via text:

"To love a person is to learn the song in their heart, and sing it to them... when they have forgotten."

I already knew that he sent daily inspirational quotes to another friend of mine. And I thought, oh great, this is going to annoy me and put me in a bad mood on a daily basis. (I understand that maybe some people would appreciate daily inspirational quotes texted to them. I am not that person.) But then he didn't send me another inspirational text. ... for a few days.

Being the crotchety person that I am, upon receipt of the second inspirational quote text message, I texted him back "unsubscribe." Within the hour he texted me back that I had "successfully unsubscribed." He probably thinks I'm the crazy person, which I can live with. (maybe it is me that's crazy)

When I saw this, it truly spoke to me.

Why I run out of church after third hour:


Just Say Amen Already: http://amenalready.tumblr.com/post/39716698816/why-i-run-out-of-church-after-third-hour



1 comment:

Marti said...

hahahahahahahaha!