Sunday, April 26, 2015

Prepping for Summer in Chicago

I kinda like that I'm able to find a lot of random events and activities to participate in. For example, I saw an advertisement on the street for Chicago Dance Month and looked up the website and went to a couple performances so far and hope to go to another this week. 

Aerial Modern Dance Performance (it was crazy in a good way)

Saw a preview of this performance in the front row of the studio. Definitely was in even more awe of the dancer's strength, control, and grace.
Other things I've found are local theater, music, documentaries, nature, museums, etc. I'm all about expanding my cultural experiences. Sometimes it's a hit, and sometimes it's a miss. But most of the activities I go to are $0-$10, so it's not a big loss if King Claudius forgot his lines (true story)

Many people often ask me about where I find things to do. The simple answer is that I look for them. I Google "Free things to do in Chicago" and find a lot through that. There are compilations of calendars out there to help organize all the events that are happening with movies in the park, free concerts, free museum days, and festivals. I used this calendar to find a "Full Moon Fire Jam" last summer and ended up having a blast. (The calendar does not currently have a lot of stuff on it. I expect it to be updated as we get closer to summer.) I just want you to know that there is a lot out there, if you're willing to look for it. 

I definitely think that with a little research and planning, your social calendar can be a lot more than movies, mini golf, and deep dish pizza. And a lot cheaper! (Although I do love the summer movies in the park series!) 

Some free things that I've added to my summer calendar already:
  • Chicago Shakespeare in the Park (A medley of Shakespeare plays set to modern music)
  • Tales from Around the World (global folk tales, songs, and dances)
  • Macbeth
Another thing that I've been wanting to do is take some sort of class or learn a new skill. I found a ten week drawing and painting class for $21 + canvas through the Chicago Park District. I'm not a drawer or painter, but I'm excited about this adventure. And if it ends up not being what I want to do with my Thursday evenings this summer, it was only $21. 

If you ever want a buddy to check out something random, chances are, I'm your girl!

No comments: