Wednesday, April 15, 2015

2014 Book Review

I never posted my book review of the books I read in 2014. I don't know if anyone cares, but I find it interesting to look back and see what I read last year. I'm always open to a suggestion for a good book. I didn't read quite as many books as I read in 2013, but I still think it was a successful year for reading.
  1. Allegiant (Veronica Roth)
    1. The series kept me interested enough to finish it, but it was not my preferred YA distopian society. 
  2. The Danger Box (Blue Balliett)
    1. I listened to this audiobook when I was driving from DC to Detroit. I enjoyed it, although I don't really remember what it was about.
  3. Nikki Heat (Richard Castle)
    1. I enjoy the TV show, Castle, so I thought this would be fun. It was a quick read and an easy mystery novel.
  4. King and Maxwell (David Baldacci)
    1. Again, I enjoy this series about ex-Secret Agents turned private investigators. I'm a sucker for a good mystery.
  5. The Magicians (Lev Grossman)
    1. This was a YA book about kids that go to a school of magic. It's not Harry Potter, and they're definitely not at Hogwarts. Some of the themes are mature. I enjoyed the story.
  6. I am Malala (Malala Yousafzai)
    1. This was an incredibly compelling story. Do not read it on the train if you don't want people to see you crying. I highly recommend.
  7. Get the Guy (Matthew Hussey)
    1. I quite enjoyed this book. No, I have not applied any of his suggestions. 
  8. Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Malcom Gladwell)
    1. I remember liking this book, but I don't remember any takeaways. 
  9. Harry Potter y la Piedra Filosifal
    1. I reread the entire Harry Potter series in Spanish. Obviously I love the series. I enjoy it in Spanish. I have a lot of words translated in my copies, but as I immerse myself in the world in Spanish, the less I needed to use the dictionary.
  10. Harry Potter y la Camera de los Secretos
  11. Harry Potter y el Prisionero de Azkaban
  12. Harry Potter y el Caliz de Fuego
  13. Harry Potter y la Orden del Fenix
  14. Harry Potter y el Misterio del Principe
  15. Four: A Divergent Collection (Veronica Roth)
    1. This was a quick read. Meh.
  16. Veronica Mars: The Thousand Dollar Tan Line (Rob Thomas)
    1. I am a HUGE VM fan. I thought the book was fun. I again enjoy the crime mystery genre, so it's right up my alley. And VM is a character that I just love. 
  17. Harry Potter y las Reliquias de la Muerte
  18. The Fault in our Stars (John Green)
    1. This was a pretty dumb story. But I read the whole thing in under a week.
  19. The Power of Everyday Missionaries (Clayton M. Christensen)
    1. I really enjoyed this book and it really made me recognize additional opportunities to share the gospel with others.
  20. Looking for Alaska (John Green)
    1. Apparently I liked the Fault in our Stars enough to read another John Green novel. It's YA, maybe a little more mature. Predictable. Death. Yada Yada Yada.
  21. Sacred Symbols (Alonzo S. Gaskill)
    1. This was a pretty quick read and helped me in my LDS temple worship.

No comments: