Sunday, April 12, 2015

Good News; Bad News

I've been a lazy blogger. April has been pretty good so far.

First, I passed the Illinois Bar Exam! Woot Woot! The reason I had to take the exam is because I didn't have five years of practice which is required for reciprocity in Illinois. I have been working under a limited admission to the bar. I have been getting several questions since passing the bar:

1. Are you relieved?
     Yes. (What kind of question is this? If you ask me this question, I will think you are stupid.)
2. Do you get a raise?
     No. I don't get fired.
3. How did you celebrate?
    That day, I went out to eat with friends from my church congregation. That weekend, I went to Michigan and I made my mom make me cake. It was chocolate with chocolate frosting and rainbow sprinkles. It was delicious.

Now I can get on with my life.

The first weekend in April was a doozy! I drove to Michigan to spend time with my family for the weekend. I grossly misjudged the weather thinking that it was spring and did not have warm enough outer gear, so I did not go outside. 

We celebrated Passover.

Passover dinner
 My family celebrates Passover as well as Easter. I celebrated Easter with my parents on Sunday while we watched "General Conference." It was wonderful.
Niece selfie
 Chicago is moving toward spring. I can feel it. We probably still have a late April snowstorm or something. But I'll take the 60 degree weather! Even if it is a little foggy.

The bad news is that my car may have breathed it's last breath on Saturday. As I was driving, it just completely shut down. Luckily, I was able to coast into a parking lot. I tried jumping it, and it would turn on and work fine. However, as soon as I removed the jumper cables, it just completely shut off.

Maybe I just need a new alternator and all will be well. Maybe it's something more serious than that. The question is, do I just retire the car, or do I plug one hole while waiting for the next to burst? I bought this car in 2007 as a salvage car. It has served me well. Within the last year, it has been struggling. I had to replace the wheel ball well, new tires, new brake pads and rotors, and now, whatever is wrong. It is a 2006, so it's lived a pretty decent life, especially for being a salvage car, I think. (But I really don't know what I'm talking about). I will have to wait the verdict from the shop that I towed it to, but it just might be time.

I'm just grateful that I have AAA since I've towed my car 3 times in the past 8 months. Also, living in a city with public transportation doesn't hurt. I don't have to make any decisions today.

No comments: