Saturday, September 17, 2016

Injuries and Insurance

About a week after we were home from our honeymoon, I cut myself pretty bad with a bread knife. (I was cutting a bagel). I was definitely in shock, very light headed, and woozy. After 30 minutes when the bleeding didn't stop, we looked into urgent care centers. It turns out that my insurance ended their contracts with specific urgent care centers and would accept any urgent care center that would bill Blue Cross Blue Shield. It turned out that none of them would bill my provider because I am associated with a specific hospital and none of the 3 urgent care centers I went to would treat my gaping wound.

I made an appointment with my doctor and I couldn't get an appointment with a hand surgeon, so I had to go to the emergency room to get stitches. It was a very long day. My first trip to the ER as an adult, I think. It is frustrating that I know nothing about my insurance actually covers and what I should do if there is an actual emergency. This is due to 12+ years avoiding the doctor and having a fairly healthy body. 


No comments: