Sunday, July 12, 2015

Island Life

I wanted to go on vacation to a place that had diversity of things to do, and was relatively inexpensive. I found that place in Puerto Rico. If you love the beach, Puerto Rico is the place for you. If you love adventure, Puerto Rico is the place for you, too! If you love museums, I don't really know if Puerto Rico is the place for you because I didn't go to any museums, but I passed a few...

I started following a blog about things to do in Puerto Rico (here), and basically planned my trip from there.

We went to Old San Juan and discovered the history of a great port in the Caribbean.

Castillo de San Felipe del Morro


 

We went to Cueva Ventana (Window Cave) where we saw some bats and spiders, and a gorgeous vista from the "window" opening in the cave.
Cueva Ventana
 We then went to Aguadilla and set up our beach afternoon at Playa Isabela.
Playa Isabela
 I was pretty excited for El Yunque National Forest - it is the only US tropical rain forest. We saw a lot of waterfalls and were able to get in some hiking.
La Mina Falls, El Yunque National Forest

 We hopped on a catamaran for a day of exploring islands off the eastern coast of Puerto Rico and snorkeling. The views were gorgeous. We were able to see fish and coral. Definitely a blast!
Off to Tortuga Island
 
Great snorkeling!
 I thought it would be fun to check out this unique church in Luquillo that has all of these intricate wood carvings.
La Iglesia de San Jose, Luquillo
 The carvings melded Puerto Rican culture with Catholic culture. For example, for Puerto Rico, pelicans are a sign of rebirth, so they carved pelicans into their alter.
I really liked the carvings.
 From the blog, we found a spot that wasn't too far off from where we wanted to be with some more water falls that created natural water slides. The stone was smooth. I definitely enjoyed going down it a few times!
Natural Waterslide
Then we took a kayaking tour of a bioluminescent bay where the phytoplankton glow at night. 




After taking a very long and winding road for 40+ kilometers, we came to this beautiful waterfall.
La Dona Juana Falls


View from one of the curves in the mountain
 This was our home base - Ocean Park/Condado.

1 comment:

Marti said...

I only spent about 12 hours (an overnight layover flight) in Puerto Rico, but I agree that it was beautiful! I would totally go back and spend more time on the beach and in the green hills! And eating delicious food!