Monday, July 21, 2014

What it means to be happy

I've been pretty down lately. And I don't really have a good reason as to why. I have a good life. A good job. Good friends. I'm not really lacking. And at the same time, I sometimes feel like my life isn't turning out how I imagined or planned.

And then I read this article.

"It is one of the great ironies of our age that we are blessed with so much and yet we can be so unhappy. The wonders of prosperity and technology overwhelm us and shower us with security, entertainment, instant gratification, and convenience. And yet all around us we see so much unhappiness."

"How many people do you know who are truly happy? Can you say the same for yourself?"

"The pioneers, those wonderful souls who sacrificed so much, went without and hungered for even the most basic of necessities to survive. The pioneers understood something about happiness. They understood that happiness doesn’t come as a result of luck or accident. It most certainly doesn’t come from having all of our wishes come true. Happiness doesn’t come from external circumstance.  It comes from the inside—regardless of what is happening around us."

So I'm trying to figure out what that inside happiness is really all about...

1 comment:

Marti said...

I hadn't read that yet. Thanks for posting this, Mel! You're great.