Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Cool Aunt Melanie



I traveled to Detroit last weekend to visit my family. Many people wondered why I chose a random weekend in June, rather than travelling for Father's Day. 

Well, when I moved to Chicago, I told my mom that I would visit more often since I was significantly closer. However, I had not visited home since I moved to Chicago, so I thought I was due. But if I didn't go for Mother's Day, how could I go home for Father's Day? Kids can't play favorites with their parents. So I decided to go home a seemingly random weekend in June. 

Little did I know that it was my hometown's ice cream social where my dad was singing with the Senior Singers. If you have seen Gilmore Girls and think of little town festivals, it was similar to that, but with A LOT less production value. But I did end up getting a mug from the sesquicentennial anniversary of the Wire House Museum that took place in 2005. Yep. 2005. That's how awesome my hometown is. 


Please enjoy some photos of my lovely weekend in Detroit City. 
The Rust Belt Market in Ferndale. It seemed like a good "Detroit" place to check out.

Comerica Park




Fireworks after Tigers' game

Hanging out at an ice cream social
It was nice to see the family and continue to establish my status as the cool aunt!


How do I maintain my "cool aunt" status? Well, I just convince a cute 4-year to go on a bike ride with me to the lake. We dip our toes in and chat about how many yards away the lone fisherman is from us.

No comments: