Friday, August 23, 2013

Sweet Home Alabama

When I told my coworkers and my friends that I was going to vacation in Alabama with my family, everyone just looked at me funny and gave the obligatory, "That sounds fun" statement. No one said, "You have to try XYZ restaurant," or any touristy place to go for that matter. I understand that not many people probably vacation in Alabama, but I definitely got the "In-all-the-places-in-the-world,-why-would-you-go-to-Alabama?" look. 

After a week in Gulf Shores, Alabama, I'm pretty sure that none of my friends or coworkers has ever been to the Gulf Coast of Alabama before, because it's absolutely beautiful.

I assume that everyone was envisioning Alabama like this:


Or even like this:

But Alabama truly has some beautiful beaches and a ton of stuff to do an explore. Here is an aerial shot of the Gulf Coast of Alabama:


Here are a couple of sunset photos I took with my cell phone at the beach that is a 5 minute walk from the condo where we stayed:

The sunset was truly beautiful.

The Alabama Gulf Coast has a ton to offer!
Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge
Kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, boating, jet skis, parasailing, dolphin watching, Fort Morgan, tons of seafood, outlet mall, and museums (we went to USS Alabama, Naval Air Museum, Mobile Mardi Gras Museum, and the Pensacola Light House Museum).

We also found the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge just a few miles from our condo. We walked the 1.5 mile trail to a white sandy beach that was surrounded by preserved sand dunes and not a single other person on the shore. It was gorgeous and we saw the Blue Angels fly by us a few times.

Top 5 Reasons I like the Gulf Coast so much more than any of the beaches that I've been to on the East Coast:
1. It's not crowded. 
2. The Gulf of Mexico water is so much warmer than the Atlantic Ocean.
3. It's gorgeous.
4. It's not as expensive. (this may have something to do with vacationing with my family, though...)
5. There is not as much traffic.

So if you're considering a beach getaway, I highly recommend Gulf Shores or Orange Beach, Alabama. You won't be disappointed!

1 comment:

Marti said...

The Gulf is warmer than the Atlantic? The Atlantic IS warm! (Although I've only ever been swimming in the Atlantic in South Carolina or Florida...) Remember the water in San Diego?? The Pacific coast of the US has COLD water.

But that does look beautiful. The only downside I've heard to the Gulf Coast are the jelly fish that can be rather common at times.