Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus

I don’t claim to know anything about the other sex. (What do I say here? – men always say “the fairer sex” to refer to women, can I say “the uglier sex” to refer to men?)

I attended a storytelling event this weekend modeled after “The Moth.” Unfortunately, I wasn't called to perform my story. But I did get to hear some pretty interesting and funny personal accounts of “New Beginnings.”

But one thing I definitely noted is that women like to talk about dating and relationships. A lot. Not all, but a good portion of the stories told by women involved romantic relationships – avoiding them or funny things that happen because of them. And I enjoyed those stories.

On the other hand, I don’t think a single man told a story where the focal point revolved around a romantic relationship (this could be a selective memory problem on my part, though). One man did mention that he had broken off a long relationship, but that wasn't the heart of the story. The stories told by men were more about funny events – dressing up as a bunny for the Presidential Easter Egg Roll, getting 3 speeding tickets in the course of four hours, etc. And I enjoyed those stories, too.

As I reflected on this discrepancy, I started thinking about the perceived and maybe unperceived differences between men and women. Last year the viral video “Why men and women can't be friends?” sparked a lot of debate. If you missed it:



I think that men and women probably have some of the same underlying thoughts and ideas, but just express or experience them from varying perspectives. I have yet to understand how the generally taller sex (it's better that I describe men in this way rather than uglier, right?) think and express themselves, but I know that life is more interesting because we’re so different.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

ummmm... really Utah State!?! I definitely hadn't seen this video!

Melanie Carbine said...

It's just more socially acceptable for women to talk about dating and relationships. While none of the men talked about dating, not all the women did. There was a story about cultivating poinsettas and shipping mishaps. You would have talked about your hair catching fire. And, my dating story was about friendship and told under duress (my other new beginning stories are inane travel stories or sad stories about death). I also don't think this generalization could be made about the other storytelling nights. There were other nights where men talked about dating and the women made no such mention.