Sunday, August 26, 2012

Heartbroken

I can say that I've never really been heartbroken about anything before. Previous relationships just didn't work out for one reason or another, and it was hard, but I don't think that I couldn't ever move past it.

Well, a few weeks ago I had an opportunity for a job that seemed like a perfect fit. My dream job if you will. I didn't know that it was my dream job until it was closer to becoming a reality. I interviewed, I flew across the country and it seemed like it was going to have everything that I wanted - challenging legal work, international opportunities, work-life balance, career, etc.

I had another offer waiting for me and I had to make a decision, so I had to get some information from the "dream job" on my status. After being led to believe that an offer was forthcoming, I ended up not getting the job.

I was crushed. I just couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't going to happen for me. I kept having to tell myself that there was no possibility to work there. I had to move on. But I was definitely resisting.

Luckily, I had another job offer that is a great opportunity and in Washington, DC, so life is going to work out.

I started working for the DC government a couple of weeks ago in education law and policy. It's pretty interesting work and something that I'm familiar with since I spent last summer working in special education law in Chicago. I'm excited about the trajectory of my career path and I'm confident that everything will work out for the best.

I've been able to crash with my best friend these last couple weeks and I have finally found a place to live. I'll be moving to Arlington, Virginia in a few days. I'm excited to be in DC and experience life in the city. And I'm not too far from home. All in all, life tends to work itself out.

What I've been up to lately:

Checking out President Obama's favorite ice cream shop


Watching the showdown between the top draft picks in preseason football
(these are not the actual football players)

FexEx Field - Landover, Maryland 

Celebrating Lynn's Birthday with Redskins v. Colts
We learned the Redskins' fight song ... Hail to the Redskins?!

3 comments:

Martha said...

Miss you Melanie! Things will work out for you--DC is great!

Melanie Carbine said...

Yep, that's how heartbreak goes, right? Only when you almost have it but don't, like losing something twice. But, I think things are going to be great for you! I decided to get the most out of what I can here and then move on in a couple of years when I'm ready. Because moving on is what I do :)

Melanie said...

Thanks Martha! I miss you, too. Ann Arbor will always be a special place to me.

Melanie, I'm learning how to move on. I just don't think it has ever taken me this long before. And it hasn't even been a month yet, so I think I'm doing ok. :)