Thursday, July 21, 2011

Curse of the Billy Goat

I went to a Chicago Cubs game on Tuesday. I thought I should learn about the Cubs' curse because it seemed like a good Chicago thing to do.

It all started in 1945 when they played the Detroit Tigers for the pennant. I naturally turned to wikipedia. "In Game 4 of the Series, the Curse of the Billy Goat was allegedly laid upon the Cubs when P.K. Wrigley ejected Billy Sianis, who had come to Game 4 with two box seat tickets, one for him and one for his goat. They paraded around for a few innings, but Wrigley demanded the goat leave the park due to its unpleasant odor. Upon his ejection, Mr. Sianis uttered, "The Cubs, they ain't gonna win no more." The Cubs lost Game 4, lost the Series, and have not been back since."

So this now explains the Curse, and why there are goats all around Chicago. I'm pretty satisfied with the story.

Now you can enjoy some photos from the evening.
Aaron, me and Monica. We are glowing because it was like 90 degrees and the most muggy humidity you have ever felt. Poor Aaron came from work in his shirt and tie...


Brian, Doug, Nolan, and Emily enjoying their first Cubs experience.

Wrigley Field

Me in front of Wrigley field after the 4-2 loss to the Phillies.

3 comments:

Melanie Carbine said...

Yeah, okay, I want to know why you are wearing a long sleeved shirt. (Looks like a good time.)

Melanie said...

I'm not wearing a long sleeved shirt. It is half sleeve, but you can't tell from the photos.

Marti said...

I had a very satisfactory baseball experience on Saturday. D-back beat the Rockies 12-3. Correction: D-backs killed the Rockies. There was a Grand Slam and everything. I really do like baseball. And now I'm even more sad that I didn't get to come see you in Chicago and go to a Cubs game.